I spent the weekend in Lancaster, PA with my friend, Becky. It snowed. In October. We cried. Then we watched 14 movies back-to-back. (Okay. It was actually more like two.) In spite of the snow we managed to swing by Central Market, eat lunch at an Amish farm, share dessert at Prince Street Cafe, and slide our way down icy sidewalks to church on Sunday.
Becky works for a not-for-profit called HOPE International, whose mission it is to "invest in the dreams of the poor in the world's undeserved communities so that they might be released from physical and spiritual poverty." When I visited Becky a couple years ago in Lancaster I had the opportunity to travel through HOPE's Pathways Out of Poverty exhibit. It was an extraordinary exhibit, and I couldn't help feeling some awe at the presentation, and thinking, I've never seen any exhibit, anywhere, quite like this one.
We hung out with a lot of HOPE folks this weekend. I felt so blessed by being with them. What a neat group of people! I'm so encouraged by the work they're doing to change poverty, one individual at a time. It's a good challenge for me, too. What am I doing to make a difference in the life of the poor? How does this knowledge begin to shape my life?
Snowy weekends are great for contemplating.
And dreaming.
With dear friends.

1 comment:
I made the blog!! I was thinking earlier that I need to send you the pics from my camera. I love following you, you clawed foot bathtub lover, you! Can't wait to see you again soon, perhaps over some liturgy in America's oldest church?
Post a Comment