Monday, October 24, 2011

39 of 52.

Real Sex: The Naked Truth About Chastity by Lauren F. Winner

I first read this book while I was a student at Biola University. And I loved it. Then my friend Emily borrowed it. She read it. She loved it. Then she gave it back to me. And I reread it. An' I still love it, man.

(Emily left a sticky note on page 147 that said, "This is my favorite part" and when I saw it, I almost jumped on the first plane to LAX. I miss her!)

I would highly recommend this book. Maybe you've read other things by Winner (she also wrote Girl Meets God and Mudhouse Sabbath). Her writing is engaging and honest. Aside from Paige Benton Brown's article, this book is the best thing I've ever read on dating, sex and singleness. Here's an excerpt:


Sex has consequences. Sex is dangerous and delightful and tempestuous and elemental, and it matters. What we do with our bodies, what we do sexually, shapes our persons. If we believe that sex forms us, then it goes without saying that it is public business, because how we build the persons we are--persons who are social and communal and political and economic beings--is itself a matter of social concern.

1 comment:

emily j said...

i miss you too!!!!