Stationery by R. NicholsEarlier this week my roommate, Hannah, shared a great article on singleness called Singled Out by God For Good (Paige Benton Brown). Brown's article is witty, honest, hopeful, and downright funny. Too often articles about singleness remind me of the way I feel upon exiting the dentists office: grumpy, aching, and vowing to never return. Brown's article is an exception in the realm of writings on singleness. It's easy to see why. Brown writes from the perspective of a (then) single woman, who yearns for marriage but finds herself single today. The old now and not yet paradox.
Today, I'm single. Maybe next week I won't be single- heck, maybe tomorrow I won't be single! But, today I am. That's what God has called me to- and what a rich gift that is when God has called you to something.
Here's a quote from Brown's article:
And, another:
"Are you seeing anyone special?" a young matron in my home church asked patronizingly. "Sure," I smiled. "I see you and you’re special."
OK, my sentiment was a little less than kind, but the message is true.
To be single is not to be alone. If someone asks if you are in a relationship right now, your immediate response should be that you are in dozens. Our range of relational options is not limited to getting married or to living in the sound-proof, isolated booth of Miss America pageants. Christian growth mandates relational richness.
Warped theology is at the heart of attempts to "explain" singleness:
- "As soon as you’re satisfied with God alone, he’ll bring someone special into your life”—as though God’s blessings are ever earned by our contentment.
- "You’re too picky”—as though God is frustrated by our fickle whims and needs broader parameters in which to work.
- "As a single you can commit yourself wholeheartedly to the Lord’s work”—as though God requires emotional martyrs to do his work, of which marriage must be no part.
- "Before you can marry someone wonderful, the Lord has to make you someone wonderful"—as though God grants marriage as a second blessing to the satisfactorily sanctified.
No comments:
Post a Comment