From the back cover: As a young widow with a small child, Elinore Pruitt left Denver in 1909 and set out for Wyoming, where she hoped to buy a ranch. Determined to prove that a lone woman could survive the hardships of homesteading, she initially worked as a housekeeper and hired hand for a neighbor--a kind but taciturn Scottish bachelor whom she eventually married.
I loved this book. It was such a fascinating portrayal of a country, a lifestyle, and a person. I was surprised how down-to-earth Elinore seemed. And how funny she was. I put this book in the mail the day after I finished it and sent it to our Oklahoma friend Anna. She reminds me of Elinore. Can't wait to hear what she thinks about it!
Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
To me, homesteading is the solution of all poverty's problems, but I realize that temperament has much to do with success in any undertaking, and persons afraid of coyotes and work and loneliness had better let ranching along. At the same time, any woman who can stand her own company, can see the beauty of the sunset, loves growing things, and is willing to put in as much time at careful labor as she does over the washtub, will certainly succeed; will have independence, plenty to eat all the time, and a home of her own in the end.
| Jen and I in Wyoming! Yellowstone National Park July 2011 |
No comments:
Post a Comment