Saturday, February 21, 2009

Central Park Benches.

One of the joys unemployment affords me is the ability to take extended walks throughout New York, whenever and wherever I choose. Yesterday, on a freezing day in the City-with the wind whipping itself into a frenzy around me- I ventured into Central Park. The February sun was shining brilliantly through the clouds, and cast an unusual beauty around the park... on the dead grass, the barren trees, even the motionless swing set.

As I walked around the Great Lawn I began to read some of the inscriptions on the benches lining the perimeter. Several predictable ones occurred in succession: "To X--- (date of birth- date of death)." And then the inscriptions began to get interesting. "To X--- who loved this City." "To the City of New York from Family X--- in Columbus, Ohio, who lived in this wonderful City for three years." "For X---, we miss you every day (date of birth- Sept. 11, 2001)."

And, just when I was wondering if a proposal might find its way onto one of the benches: "For my sweetie Lauren. I love you. I adore you. I cherish you. Will you marry me? Mark."

Ah, romance!
And the joys of the unemployed-Park-walker!
(More on Central Park benches here.)


Photo from Brooks Brothers Fall 2008 Ad Campaign featuring the Central Park benches

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course I love this post and LOVE the picture you chose to include. That will forever be my favotire ad campaign of our company.