"The nature of blogging implies that I think I have something worth saying. That's misleading. The ability to post my thoughts on the Internet is no guarantee that I have any idea what I'm talking about."
Bob Kauflin works for Sovereign Grace Ministries, a family of 60+ churches led by C.J. Mahaney. He's been married to his wife, Julie, for over 30 years, and together they have six children and four grandchildren. In my book that gives him the freedom to elaborate on anything he wants. But, I find it particularly interesting when he pontificates on topics I also enjoy. Like blogging, for one.
In an article called "Blogging to Worship God," (first published on Boundless.org on August 31, 2006), Kauflin asks the million dollar question, "Why blog?" and then spends the rest of his article discussing the multi-faceted world of blogging...from a Christian perspective.
Kauflin's main point is that blogging should, in some way, shape, or form, bring glory to God. He references 1 Corinthians 10:31 to underscore his argument,"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." Elsewhere, Kauflin says, "If you're going to write a blog, write about something that matters." I would like to make a tee-shirt with that slogan. Heck, I'd like to make a tee-shirt that says, "If you're going to do anything, do something that matters."
Kauflin's essay has some great (and at times, humorous) arguments. Exhibit A: Reasons you might be blogging for your own glory:
- I start a blog because all my friends have one
- I enjoy seeing my name in print, especially on someone else's blog
- I'm crushed by criticism
- I'm flippant in criticizing others
- I check my visitor counter every hour
- My emotional state is related to the number of people who visit my site
One day Little Sister and Big Sister may no longer be driving together down the information superhighway. But, for now, we're here. We're blogging. And, we're hoping that in some small way our different lives, on different coasts, are bringing glory to God. Even when blogging. Especially when blogging.
To read the full version of Kauflin's article click here.
"Of course, blogs can be beneficial if we use them wisely, understanding that they're only one slice of the way God intends for us to relate to the world. And a small slice, at that."
1 comment:
I loved this post. This is definitely something to remember and I might steal a quote or two from you if that is okay. :) I love your blog and hearing all about Big Sister and Little Sister's adventures. So much love on this blog.
Post a Comment