It is perfection.
It is moving.
You will laugh.
You will cry.
You will be inspired.
(It's better than The Pacific.)
I can't think of a better time to highlight this series than this week. Just a few days ago, at the ripe old age of 92, Major Dick Winters--the main character in the miniseries--passed away.
I paged through a few of the comments below the article. Comments are funny things. Often they make me lose my entire faith in humanity (have you ever read some of the stuff on YouTube?). But, these comments had quite the opposite effect. People from all over the world expressed gratitude and admiration for the life of Major Winters. One comment simply read,
Thank you for my freedom.
Maybe you don't have any real interest in World War II history, or paratroopers, or European geography. But, I think you would still be pleasantly surprised by Band of Brothers.
Our Oklahoma friends, Anna and Mike, got me into the habit of re-watching the miniseries every year. Anna e-mailed me the other day to see if I'd heard the news about Major Winters. He was our favorite character. Still is. We both grieve his loss. And, boy, do we ever appreciate his life.
1 comment:
I found your blog doing research for a site where I write, thesisterproject.com. You and your sis are lovely, and I always enjoy my visits here. But today was a little special--my husband was one of the writers of "Band of Brothers", and as a result, he (and eventually I) had the privilege to meet and know Maj. Winters. Your enthusiasm for the show and way of honoring Dick Winters are really moving...thank you! I will pass this on to my hubs, who I know will love reading your kind words about a project that meant so, so much to him and to everyone who worked on it!
Post a Comment