Who knew that yesterday, when writing about new beginnings and adventures and the unfamiliarity of these things, they would all be put into practice so quickly?
Yesterday, I was laid off.
Yesterday, my manager requested a word with me in private and made a speech about salary freezes and how much they would miss me.
Yesterday, I left the office, called my sister, and told her-through giggles- that it was over. Thankfully, she did not suggest I commit myself to any type of psych ward. Neither did Mom when I told her (again through muffled laughter). Thankfully, they understood the irony of the whole situation- my desire to work elsewhere, and then suddenly, a layoff. Thankfully, they remained hopeful- for me, and with me. So did my roommates. They grieved the bittersweet irony of the situation with me. And, so did my grandmother- who, last night (word travels fast in our family), left me a voicemail saying that things are always better the second time around.
Of course, there is that pinching feeling of discouragement, and the anxiety of wondering what could possibly be next. But, I choose to remain hopeful- not because of any current job openings; not because of any spring-like weather; not even because I have the assurance that whatever is next will be better... but, rather, because of the assurance that the One who created me will provide for me. He will show up. He will certainly move.
Mom shared the following with me in a phone conversation this morning:
I know God loves you. And, I know He cares about your future. He cares about you even more than I do. And, I know He doesn't want you sitting in a Starbucks where people are gonna take off with your purse. So He's pulling the rug out from under you and pushing you out the door, in as gentle a way as He can.
I'm encouraged. I'm moving out in faith, and hope. Lots of hope. I'm cranking out that old resume again, and praying that God will be glorified through something as silly as a layoff and another season of unemployment.
Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
Phillipians 4:6-7, The Message
Here's to the journey!
Phillipians 4:6-7, The Message
Here's to the journey!
3 comments:
His plans are good and He is faithful! What more could you ask for in someone who holds the whole world in His hands! I love you, mom
we can sill HOP!
i love you so much....
cant wait to see where this story goes...
you are so wise!! love you... and i'm with C, i can't wait to see what God has next :)
Post a Comment