If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you - New York, New York
It's up to you - New York, New York
I assume I am earning my credentials to "make it anywhere," as I try to survive my first winter in New York. These days I feel that I'm amassing more "I hate New York" moments than "I love New York" moments. Maybe those wintry snowflakes are starting to fog up my rose-colored glasses.
But it's not just the January weather- it's the cashier at the library who refuses to waive my late fee even when I politely tell him the library had closed early on the day I tried to make the return. And, it's the MTA employee who shortchanges me- then makes a protest about my protest. And, it's the toothless homeless woman who, yesterday, took off down 8th avenue with my purse (perhaps these red-haired genes are useful after all: I chased the woman down and retrieved said purse).
Add up all of these moments- all of these frustrating occurrences with strangers- and I find myself growing weary at the idea of living in New York "indefinitely." Perhaps these situations would happen to me in any city. But New York pushes, and prods, and squeezes, and shoves in ways other cities just... don't.
But, despite everything, I still love it. I still love New York. Me, and a couple million other people. You take the bad with the good, I guess- some days more than others.
2 comments:
Thank you girls for following my blog. I love your very inspiring and lovely words.
a homeless woman took off with your purse!?!?!?
Post a Comment