
Some 50 years ago today, in a hospital in Maryland, Charles and Betty Llewellyn welcomed a beautiful redheaded girl into the world. Today, that girl is our Mom! Little Sister and I think she is pretty fantastic, and we are grateful to be her daughters. Since it's her birthday, I thought I'd take some time to celebrate the things I admire most about Mom.
I love that when I spend time with Mom, it feels like I'm spending time with a really good friend. I can talk to Mom about concerns I have, and she really listens. A few years ago, I took a semester off college and lived at home for a few months. Mom and I spent a lot of time together during that semester- mostly in Starbucks- drinking coffee and chatting over a shared bran muffin. Those moments of sharing and listening are some of my favorite memories with Mom. But, Mom's more than just a good listener. She's also a fun
friend…
Mom is super spontaneous and fun to be around; she is anything but predictable. When Mom was a teenager she drove a magenta-colored car called, "The Purple Bomb." These days Mom's cars are a little less flashy, but she's still got that youthful wild streak! Some of
I'm also grateful for the things Mom taught me about life. Mom taught me that true beauty comes from the inside, but she also took me to the Lancome make-up counter when I was 14, so I could appreciate beauty on the outside, too. Mom taught me that it's important to have compassion for all people, and she invited a homeless man over for Christmas dinner one year to emphasize her point. Mom encouraged me to follow my dreams, and drove the U-Haul truck herself when I decided to move to New York.
More than anything, Mom
was THERE. Summer trips to amusement parks? Mom was on the roller coaster with us, hands in the air. First days of school? Mom was there, in her bathrobe, taking pictures. Sick in the middle of the night? Mom was there, changing the sheets, cleaning upthe throw-up, helping us to the bathroom.
So here's to you, Mom-- not just today, not just because it's your birthday, but because you are worth celebrating! I think I can speak for Little Sister when I say that we love you so much, and we are so glad you're our Mom. Happy, happy Birthday!
2 comments:
this was the most wonderful post to date....
if i could have written it myself, i would have.
love you, sister.
Wow, thanks for that amazing tribute!! It made me cry. I appreciate your kind words!! I love you both dearly, more than each of you will ever know until you have children of your own. love,momxoxoxo
Post a Comment