Monday, December 5, 2011

46 and 47 of 52.

Oh man, it's crunch time y'all.


This 52 in 52 challenge is rapidly drawing to a close. [Did we ever decide if comic books count?]


Here's two I finished last week...

1.) I've wanted to read The Woman in White since college. My American Gothic Lit professor used to rave about this book. And I wanted to grow up and be my American Gothic Lit professor...ergo, I read the book. Finally. It was funny, witty, memorable, and suspenseful. [On a sidenote, when Sis visited Scotland a few years ago she bought an older edition of this book from a darling Scottish bookstore, and surprised me with it...knowing I'd get around to reading it...one day. Isn't that the best? I think it's one of the loveliest things on my bookshelf.]

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
My hour for tea is half-past five, and my buttered toast waits for nobody.


2.) Ann Voskamp's book is just poetic. I don't know how else to describe it. It is lovely, challenging, and delightful, too. I finished it days ago, but its message of enjoying and appreciating all of God's gifts is still echoing in my head.

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp
I know there is poor and hideous suffering, and I've seen the hungry and the guns that go to war. I have lived pain, and my life can tell: I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks for early light dappled through leaves and the heavy perfume of wild roses in early July and the song of crickets on humid nights and the rivers that run and the stars that rise and the rain that falls and all the good things that a good God gives. Why would the world need more anger, more outrage? How does it save the world to reject unabashed joy when it is joy that saves us? Rejecting joy to stand in solidarity with the suffering doesn't rescue the suffering. The converse does.

No comments: