I was completely unaware of Brooke Fraser's musical prowess until my roommate invited me to a Brooke Fraser concert here in New York in late September. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the concert, but I was interested enough to look up Brooke a few days later on iTunes. I've been inwardly kicking myself for not making it to that concert ever since.
Brooke is a singer with an amazing talent, and her lyrics reflect the many life experiences she's enjoyed (including several trips to Rwanda, and growing up in New Zealand). While I was exploring Brooke's website, I stumbled across a little section called "Brooke Loves." I scrolled through the list and read about Brooke's favorite coffee shops, favorite clothing boutiques, etc. etc. Well, reader, I just about died when I read the following little "love" of Brooke's:
"The Sound of Music is my favourite movie. Last year for my mum's 50th birthday, we went to Austria and did the Sound of Music tour. Posed for photos in the gazebo thing, got our free edelweiss pins, the whole deal. So geeky. So awesome."
Brooke sounds like my international kindred spirit. All of this, on top of the fact that I already enjoy her music, and appreciate her desire to live for something (Someone) greater than herself. Included below are the lyrics to my favorite of her songs, Shadowfeet. You can also watch a YouTube video of the song here. I hope you'll find as much enjoyment in Brooke's music as I have. Maybe we'll even make it, together, to her next concert.
Shadowfeet
Walking, stumbling
On these shadow feet
Toward home, a land that I’ve never seen
I am changing
Less and less asleep
Made of different stuff than when I began
And I have sensed it all along
Now fast approaching is the day
CHORUS
When the world has fallen out from under me
I’ll be found in you, still standing
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
There’s distraction
Buzzing in my head
Saying in the shadows it’s easier to stay
But I’ve heard rumours of true reality
Whispers of a well-lit way
You make all things new
When the world has fallen out from under me
I’ll be found in you, still standing
Every fear and accusation under my feet
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
Walking, stumbling
On these shadow feet
Toward home, a land that I’ve never seen
I am changing
Less and less asleep
Made of different stuff than when I began
And I have sensed it all along
Now fast approaching is the day
CHORUS
When the world has fallen out from under me
I’ll be found in you, still standing
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
There’s distraction
Buzzing in my head
Saying in the shadows it’s easier to stay
But I’ve heard rumours of true reality
Whispers of a well-lit way
You make all things new
When the world has fallen out from under me
I’ll be found in you, still standing
Every fear and accusation under my feet
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
When time and space are through
I’ll be found in you
No comments:
Post a Comment