
I love New York. Seriously. I do. I love it. I especially love autumn in New York. I like the chilly mornings. I like being able to wear scarves as more than an accessory. But, some days, I just miss California. I miss living 25 minutes away from the Pacific. I miss the Santa Ana winds. I miss the palm trees, and the bright sunshine that left blond streaks in my hair. I miss eating frozen yogurt in the middle of October, and I miss riding in a convertible in early November.
We knew a family who moved from southern California to the D.C. area about ten years ago. Every once in awhile the father would talk about having an "I-miss-California" day. I never really understood what he meant. "I-miss-California" day? Like an "I-miss-summer" day? I didn't understand then that he was referring to more than the weather. There is something about the California culture, especially in southern California, that grows on you. And, to an outsider, skepticism is an understandable response. But, once you experience living there... well, it's just a different story. Maybe all that California sunshine really does go to your head.
Today I'm reminising. I'm enjoying New York, and the beautiful fall weather. But I'm thinking about California-- remembering trips to California Adventures, and the Getty, and driving down the 405. I'm having my own "I-miss-California" day... especially after seeing this weather report.

"And, man, it's a really good place to find yourself a taco"
-Los Angeles, Counting Crows
2 comments:
i know you are sad. but it is blazing hot here. i'll swap you some heat for a little chill in the air. deal?
i'll bring some home in november...
its so hot here. its more like an "i miss Arizona day." :)
Post a Comment