Friday, February 12, 2010

Life Via a Camera Phone.

It's February in New York. And, this is what Central Park looks like post-snow (the Reservoir portion of the Park):

(Isn't it a pretty reservoir? I like it. I read on Wikipedia- which we all know is such a reliable news source- that it's one of the most famous running tracks in the whole country. Who knew?)

This is our street! The street with the Papa John's/Subway restaurant (which, when a friend visited from Australia last summer and wanted an "authentic American little restaurant," I said- "Have you heard of Subway? It's this little sandwich shop around the corner." Shame on me.) It is also a street of little New Yorkers, and this is what they look like in the snow:

And, Grand Central. I love this building. Doesn't matter what season it is, what time of day, what day of the week; I think it's beautiful at all times. I think of my Dad every time I walk past it. In fact, I sent him the picture below a few nights ago while walking back to the subway from a speaking engagement. Grand Central always makes me think of him- mostly because there is a restaurant in the basement of the train station called the Oyster Bar, and as far back as I can remember Dad has taken our family there to eat when we'd visit the city. Sometime last Fall he and I ate there together, too. You cannot imagine, unless you have more than two siblings, what it's like to share a meal with one of your parents and have their undivided attention. It is priceless.

Hannah Kate! Roommate one of three, friend to me! This is from last weekend. We were each others "+1" for two birthday parties. Map it out, lock it up. Downtown on the subway. Bar #1. Happy birthday, Erica! Mix and mingle. Cute the cake. Time to go! Taxi waiting right at the doorstep. Zip across town to the Meatpacking District. Bar #2. There's a line. There's a line?!?! What is this place?! Freezing wind. Freezing toes. Freezing fingers. Photo op! Finallllllly our grand entrance. Happy birthday, Katie! Winter Ale cocktail- cheers! Dance dance dance. Midnight! Auf wiedersehen! Subway uptown. Milkshakes at a diner across the street. Generous with the ketchup and the fries. Walking across the street at 1:30am, and in bed at 2. Good night, New York City!

Dearest Alisa! She came to visit at the end of January. What a way to ring out the coldest, most miserable month of the year (sorry, Sis). I dragged her to see Avatar. What a sport. 3-D glasses? No problem. Share my popcorn? Of course! James Cameron, you genius, you. Ten years ago he produced a small little indie movie called Titanic. Heard of it? Well, Alisa and I were in eighth grade at the time and it was all the rage. Jack and Kate! My heart will go on! Never let go! Fast forward ten years and we're watching Cameron's next big blockbuster together in a cramped New York City theater. Two city girls- how did they go from braces and Ancient Civilization to cell phone bills and apartment living? I don't know. But, I'm glad they did.


2 comments:

Hannah Kate Flora said...

There's the New York lady!!! I've missed the Odell sisters!!

Perryn said...

I just laughed out loud at you taking your friend to Subway! haha