Wednesday, July 13, 2011

24 of 52.

{Via Google}

I've spent time in four different airports in the last week. Help me, Rhonda. I'm still trying to figure out what state I've landed in over here.

These words are on replay in my head: In the event of a water landing, your seat cushion may serve as a flotation device.

Oh, and also these: Sometimes your nearest exit may be behind you.

And lastly: Ladies and Gentleman, the Captain has turned off the seat belt sign. You may now feel free to move about the cabin. You may also feel free to request a backrub, an extra hot White Mocha, a copy of a magazine published within the last five years, a pacifier for the screaming infant behind you, and a gentle electric prod for the reclining adult in front of you. And because it's your lucky day, we'll also throw in a free pair of Bose headphones. Thank you for flying the friendly skies with us!

...

The point is, I've been logging time in airports, and reading up a storm. Which is good...since I committed to this 52 in 52 challenge, and I am barely keeping pace with myself. I've yet to decide if comic books count toward this goal...


Here's number 24!


Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives by Richard A. Swenson, M.D.


As we subjugate progress, we first make it subservient to our greater goals and needs, especially relationships. We once again practice economics "as if people mattered." We once again agree that things do not own us and are not even very important. We once again assert that jobs are only jobs, that cars are only organized piles of metal, that houses will one day fall down- but that people are important beyond description. We once again assert that love stands supreme above all other forces, even to the ends of the universe and beyond...


Graduate degrees and GNPs will never usher in the kingdom- only love can do that. And love brings us back to [William Wilberforce]: "Above all, measure your progress by your experience of the love of God and its exercise before men."

1 comment:

Little Sister said...

gentle electric prod. can you even imagine? this makes me laugh.