Monday, June 20, 2011

21 and 22 of 52.

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare


I do love nothing in the world so well as you. Is that not strange? -Benedick to Beatrice
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows, where ox-lips and the nodding violet grows; quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine, with sweet musk-roses and with eglantine. -Oberon
 
I've been on a Shakespeare kick lately. His comedies are so smart and witty, and somehow don't come across as sappy even with their happy endings. Since we're on the subject of Shakespeare I feel the need to tell you that my classmates and I performed A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Folger Shakespeare Theater when I was a senior in high school.
 
And, I won the Acting With Distinction award.
 
For playing Bottom...the weaver, turned actor. Who is turned into a donkey. Who falls in love with Titania, the Queen of the Fairies. Who then turns back into Bottom. Who plays Pyramus. Who falls in love with Thisbe. Who kills herself.
 
There was a lot of falling in love. And dying. It was very confusing. I think the award could have been renamed: For Acting With Distinction...In The Face of Insurmountable Characters and Personas: Including a Weaver, a Thespian, a Donkey, a Lover, a Legend, and a Dead Man.
 
Or, it could have been renamed: For Acting With Distinction: We're Sorry You Didn't Get To Play the Fairy Queen Role.
 
Or: For Acting With Distinction: Boy, Are We Ever Gonna Remember You. Ya Kook On the Loose.
 
Never mind. What matters is: ten years after performing this play, I still love it. And tomorrow is the Summer Solstice. I'm not sure exactly how that ties in, but I needed to mention it.
 
Goodbye forever.
 

No comments: