Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Grand Old Ditch.

Did you know the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal used to be referred to as the "Grand Old Ditch"? I read that on Wikipedia and got a kick out of it.

The Canal is two miles away from our house. We go there a lot. I went there with Josh and Nate a few weekends ago.


Brothers keep me on my toes.

I turn around for two seconds, and they're racing each other down the Canal. Then, they're untying knots. Knots that have been approved by the National Park Service. Oh, I'll just jimmy this setup a little bit. A little tweaking never hurt anybody. Huh? Where's all this water coming from?


We walked along the trail. We read the signposts. We kept a sharp eye out for deer.


I played the role of the paparazzi.

See Josh and Nate?

 
 
Oh yes, and I wore red lipstick on the Canal. On a Saturday morning. I think it perfectly complements my barely-survived-winter-sunlight-starved-vampirish skin.
 

Here's the view at the very end of the trail.

Fantastic. Always worth the wait.
And always beautiful in every season.
(Hi, Virginia!)


I really hope the National Park Service doesn't read my blog.
If they do, this is my disclaimer: I don't know these two.
And, I don't speak English.

 



There's a great little museum to visit near the entrance of the Canal. It's informative, and you can touch everything. In other words: every boy's (or boy-at-heart) dream.

 

 
 
And, hey!
Look at that GREEN map above. Bright, minty Green!
Like a leprechaun. Like a rainbow. Like a pot of gold
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Kiss me, I'm Welsh!
 

1 comment:

Little Sister said...

Those two squirrelly boys. What ever shall we do with them?