I will forget this story if I don't record it for you somewhere. And, it is an important story. It is a story about your brothers and your father and generosity and God's unconditional love for you.
The story begins with a Facebook cause. I know how much you enjoy adding all those different Facebook applications, but me- well, I'm a little more cautious with the whole thing. It took me a few days to decide to add the Neurofibromatosis Facebook cause. I added it once I realized there was an opportunity to help raise money for NF.
I was so excited to raise money for something that affects you so personally! I set a fundraising goal of $500, which meant if only 20 friends gave $25 each, I would meet my goal. I know this sounds pessimistic, but I really didn't think anyone would give anything.
But, then, on the second night of fundraising I logged onto Facebook and saw HALF of my goal was completed. Your brother Stephen had donated $250! I was shocked. In fact, I thought it was a joke. Had someone tampered with Stephen's profile? How had they rigged it? But, it was not a joke. Stephen had donated first, and he had given generously. I called him immediately and he told me the story of wanting to give the full $500, but deciding to give only half. Do you know why he left half of the goal, Nate? So other people could be involved! Stephen always thinks of others.
Nate, I got off the phone with him and I sat in my apartment in New York, a bit stunned. I was thrilled with their generosity. Do you know what their generosity reminded me of? It reminded me of Dad. Isaac and Stephen gave the way Dad has given. They gave while thinking of others. They gave outstandingly generous donations. They gave within each of their means. They gave without telling anyone they were giving. And, they gave because they cared. You may not recognize all the ways Dad has given- but that is the way he gives. Your brothers learned how to give from him. They have generous hearts because Dad demonstrated what a generous heart does.
I hope one day, years down the road, you will be a father on Father's Day, Nate (I can picture you smiling). I hope you will tell your children stories about your brother's generosity. I hope your children will understand the legacy your father is leaving. And, I hope you will wrap yourself up in the generous love of God- not just on Father's Day, not just after a generous donation to a great cause, but every day. Forever. Always.
With lots of love,
Emily
2 comments:
thanks for sharing that story of Christs love and generousity toward us all. He is able to do abundantly more than we can ever ask for! love,flame
Wow, this made me cry... a lot. What a neat family you and Courtney have!
Post a Comment