Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.
Habakkuk 3:17-19
This Sunday evening, in a quiet church on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, I listened as the ancient words of the prophet Habakkuk were read aloud to a group of New Yorkers. Our pastor described the economic stress in the passage. Food was obviously scarce. Circumstances were extremely difficult. The times were evil. "Here is what we learn from Habakkuk," said our pastor. "It is possible to live a sustained, joyful life even when everything else is going wrong."
In essence, the prophet Habakkuk is saying, "If I'm facing starvation, if I'm facing attack, if the fig tree never buds, if everything is going wrong-- I can still rejoice in God."
Our pastor described Habakkuk as a type of Christ. Christ rejoiced in the face of ultimate poverty. He was born in a manger, lived without a home, and at the end of his life died without anything in his pockets. But, on the cross he cried, "My God!" He was resting, trusting, rejoicing in God even when everything was taken away from Him.
It's tempting for me to think that once the right job comes along, well, then I can rejoice. Or, once my bank account is bigger, or once I'm dating, or once I'm perfectly satisfied with New York, or etc. etc. I want to be a Habakkuk in this season of my life. I want to rejoice even when "the fields produce no food." I want to rejoice even when I don't feel like rejoicing. I want to trust that God will enable me to go on the heights, and that even in a season of pain His presence alone can be enough to sustain me.
Habakkuk 3:17-19
This Sunday evening, in a quiet church on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, I listened as the ancient words of the prophet Habakkuk were read aloud to a group of New Yorkers. Our pastor described the economic stress in the passage. Food was obviously scarce. Circumstances were extremely difficult. The times were evil. "Here is what we learn from Habakkuk," said our pastor. "It is possible to live a sustained, joyful life even when everything else is going wrong."
In essence, the prophet Habakkuk is saying, "If I'm facing starvation, if I'm facing attack, if the fig tree never buds, if everything is going wrong-- I can still rejoice in God."
Our pastor described Habakkuk as a type of Christ. Christ rejoiced in the face of ultimate poverty. He was born in a manger, lived without a home, and at the end of his life died without anything in his pockets. But, on the cross he cried, "My God!" He was resting, trusting, rejoicing in God even when everything was taken away from Him.
It's tempting for me to think that once the right job comes along, well, then I can rejoice. Or, once my bank account is bigger, or once I'm dating, or once I'm perfectly satisfied with New York, or etc. etc. I want to be a Habakkuk in this season of my life. I want to rejoice even when "the fields produce no food." I want to rejoice even when I don't feel like rejoicing. I want to trust that God will enable me to go on the heights, and that even in a season of pain His presence alone can be enough to sustain me.
1 comment:
this is great em! thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment