Of course I miss Baby Sister most days, but I miss her especially today because she is thousands of miles away from me in the Land of Fruit and Nuts (i.e. California). Baby Sister flew out west last week and traded the beautiful deciduous trees of the East Coast for the luscious palms of southern California. She left--on a jet plane--and descended into the smoky oceanic haze of LAX, three hours behind Eastern Standard Time; three hours behind me in New York City.
When I woke up this morning I thought of Baby Sister. I imagined her deep in some sweet slumber, despite sleeping in an unfamiliar twin size bed, in an equally unfamiliar dorm room. At work I think of her too-- think of her unpacking her college belongings, preparing for her last fall semester, greeting old friends... And, in the evening I think of Baby Sister-- walking across campus maybe, or traveling with some friends to the beach to watch the sun setting out over the Pacific.
For the next few months I will think of her like this-- thousands of miles away, three hours behind, oh but always, always, close to my heart. Distance and time are weak enemies of the love between Big Sister and Baby Sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment