Sunday, August 3, 2008

City Mouse/Country Mouse.

When I woke up this morning, the first reminder that I was not in New York was the tiny spider web in the guest bedroom windowsill-- reflecting the bright morning sunshine through the minuscule dewdrops still gingerly clinging to its edges. I can not imagine a more glorious sight to behold upon waking up in the freshness of a summer morning. The delicate spider web, however, was only the tip of the proverbial iceberg of my weekend respite in the Pennsylvania countryside.

Besides admiring spider webs, I spent the weekend walking down two-lane roads, staking out abandoned bridges... and railroad tracks... and visiting all of the old haunts where my college friend, Becky, grew up. It was a weekend spent basking in the joy of just enjoying.


And we enjoyed it all: movies on a rainy Saturday afternoon, reading old National Geographic magazines, eating fresh-out-of-the-oven cinnamon rolls for breakfast, walking to church on Sunday morning, and skipping rocks across the Delaware River.

Ah, friendship is a beautiful thing. I am grateful for Becky. Grateful for Baby Sister, too. Just grateful for people who know me inside and out, acknowledge the circumstances I've walked through, and help me laugh about it anyway. And, sightings of spider webs covered in dewdrops? Those are just the cherries on top of such sweet friendships, I guess.

No comments: