Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dinner [last night], Edition IV.

An old New York friend was in town last night, and he asked if I might be available to join he and his family for dinner in the District.

Well, twist my arm if you must!

We were fixed on the Georgetown area, but Jonathan asked if I'd decide on the restaurant. His only stipulations:

1. He was avoiding bread.
2. His sister wasn't crazy about spicy food.
3. He wasn't a fan of cilantro.
4. And something eclectic would be fun.

Otherwise, no restrictions! If there's anything I love, it's a foodie challenge.

I ended up scouring MenuPages for ideas and, after tossing around Ethiopian fare for a hot second, decided on Turkish delight at Cafe Divan. Oh my, was it ever delicious. Our group feasted on appetizers of dolma, hommus, and feta cheese, and enjoyed entrees of lamb shish kebabs, and yogurtlu chicken kebab (sliced breast of chicken char-grilled and served over pita bread and yogurt sauce!).  A bottle of red Turkish wine paired excellently with all of the above. Several in our group enjoyed a small Turkish coffee post-entrees. I think we were all pleasantly surprised to notice we'd spent two and a half hours together at the end of the meal!

This is neither here nor there but, I've become quite a fan of Downton Abbey in the last month. As we settled into our Turkish experience last night, I couldn't help but think of the Turkish story line from Season One of Downton! You know you're a fan, too, if this face is familiar:


{via Google}



1 comment:

Abigail James said...

Oh...I'm a fan! and yes, that face is familiar. Hope the food was easier to swallow than that Episode of Downton was ;)