Wednesday, August 4, 2010

B & E.

I must tell you that going to college with my friend Becky (who shall remain nameless) was an experience like no other. We were thrust together on a freshman floor at a small private liberal arts school in the middle of nowheresville western Pennsylvania in the Fall of 2003. And we just fell head over heels into a friendship that has survived different colleges, different coasts, different backgrounds, and different jobs.

When I saw Becky last week in her adopted hometown of Lancaster we laughed about those college memories.

We like to think of ourselves as a little more mature from those freshman hall days. We like to think we've moved past some of our sillier moments. We like to reminisce that our crazy times were socially-induced from too much homework, and too few sunny days. Oh, our humorous youthfulness!





Our silly charades!


We are grown ups now. Living and learning in two different cities. Communicating via text and phone and e-mail, and (only when absolutely necessary) carrier pigeon. We have certainly matured... right?

Or, maybe not so right... all it takes is a little summertime reunion to bring back those freshman waves of nostalgia and I can see it all again: popping balloons in the hallway, sharing food fights in the cafeteria, talking late into the night in our dorm rooms, avoiding the Gamma Chis at all costs, pulling pranks on the freshman boys...
That Becky. She perpetually brings out the rascal in me. I am gonna have to give her a firm talking to the next time I see her... and, swear her to secrecy on all the blackmail she's got on me.

No comments: