Monday, January 18, 2010

On Kristina Lynn.


In early December my longtime friend, Kristina, flew into town for a weekend visit. She was one of the first visitors to our apartment in June 2008. Her visit in June was a quick one, and our apartment was in various stages of the initial moving-in phase (read: no personality). It was so special for both of us to have her visit again last month and see the complete renovation of our little Manhattan space.

And, boy, did I love having her in town. I don't ever want to take for granted friends who are willing to jump into my life. Ride the subway? Absolutely. Spend a little more than expected for brunch? Not a problem. Walk through the park because it's cheaper (and, we just spent our entire allowance on brunch)? How ideal. And, really, you know you have a friend who's more like family when she comes to visit and offers to spend part of the 72 hours she's in town helping to clean your bathroom.

One night, while walking around Rockefeller, we stopped in Magnolia to pick up some cupcakes and hot chocolate. We walked to Bryant Park and took our time exploring all the little holidays vendors on display. We passed the New York Public Library, deserted at eight o'clock on a weekend night. Kristina and I climbed the library stairs and found two folding chairs- a welcome relief for our tired feet. We talked about our families. Our lives in New York and Indianapolis. We talked about women's Bible study groups we both enjoyed. Kristina shared about a Monday night tradition of having college girls over to her apartment. Every week they enjoyed fellowship and salads together. Salads that Kristina helped to prepare- and served creatively, because, unfortunately, no one in the group had a pair of salad tongs. She told me how a few weeks before an anonymous coworker had left a $60 check in her mailbox. Kristina, her excitement growing, shared how she knew exactly what to buy with the $60. I watched her face, framed against the backdrop of the library, and I knew before she said it:

A beautiful pair of salad tongs.

What a friend, isn't she? Vivacious. Thoughtful. Generous. Empathetic. Enthusiastic. I can't wait to tell her future husband that story. And, her future children. And, grandchildren. Yes, I have high hopes for her. Heck, let's just throw great-grandchildren in there, too.

No comments: