Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hello Goodbye.

Early this morning, just a few brief hours ago, I hugged Little Sister goodbye and sent her on her way to JFK. Little Sister flew in from Scotland late yesterday evening, and arrived on my doorstep looking like this:

We hugged and squealed, and hugged again, and did the sisterly once- over look (Your hair is longer! I love your nails!). Then Little Sister lavished me with all kinds of Scottish trinkets and treasures:

(Clearly I was not excited.)

After spending the midnight hours of a lengthy layover together, I prepared to send Little Sister off to the airport. We hugged for the umpteenth time, and I told the driver to be careful because his passenger was very precious. Doors closed. She waved. The car pulled away from the curb, and disappeared around the corner.

I walked back into my apartment with a sigh, and a bit of a heavier heart. There she goes. She is off to the airport to board a plane that will take her to California and the sunny skies over the Pacific; back out west and away from me. She will start classes tomorrow and prepare for graduation. She will share postcards with friends, and retell all of the adventure stories I heard late last night.


Does she know how close she always feels in my heart?

No comments: