How did it happen that their lips came together?
How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds,
that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit
of the hill? A kiss, and all was said.
Victor Hugo
| nantucket, july 2012 |
This
is an engagement story. It's about two moons. Two rings. Two
people. And four unforgettable words.
Emily’s side: It was the
end of August. Labor Day was right around the corner.
It had been a wonderful summer. The boy I’d spent most of the winter and
spring with, had captured my time for most of the summer, too. Actually, he’d
captured my heart. Somewhere between that first winter date and late August,
something had shook flirtation and friendship into love. And boy did I ever
love him. He was one of the most remarkable men I’d ever met. And such a good
man. And such a rascal, too. I loved that he was a rascal.
Andrew
called me on a Monday evening, during that last week of August, and asked if he
could take me to dinner on Friday night. This was nothing unusual, nor was my
response that I didn’t mind where we went. He said, “I’ll take
you wherever you want to go.” Oh yes, I knew he would, but really I was happy
going anywhere with him. Some of our sweetest dates had been spur-of-the-moment
McDonald runs. But then Andrew said, “No, Emily. Wherever you want to go. I’ll take you anywhere. Napa Valley. New
York. Anywhere.” And that was when I knew…if
you know what I mean.
There
was only one place for a night like this…Annapolis! That charming town has been
such a special place for me and my family. My parents dated there. Dad went to
school there. Two of my brothers went to school there. The water, the crab
cakes, the boats, the cobblestone streets…it’s heavenly! And, Andrew had yet to
visit himself.
Reservations
were made at the Chart House, and the days flew by until Friday, August 31. Sis
and I talked. And discussed. And thought, “Is this really happening??!” Before she left for work she wrangled me into a headlock and said,
“You’ve got to call me immediately if anything happens!” (Just kidding about
the headlock part.)
Friday
morning I sailed off to work. Our office closed early because of the Labor
Day weekend. I sped out the door at 2pm and called Andrew, “I can’t wait to see
you tonight!” He was relaxed as ever and said, “Me too, baby. I’ll be there at 5
to pick you up.” I drove home, completely unaware that…
Andrew’s
side:
THE RING HAD NOT ARRIVED. Andrew received a call from the jeweler that
morning and they delivered the unfortunate news that the ring was still in
New York. It would arrive the next morning. Would that work? No, no, that would
not work. You see, this boy was ready. He had the girl. The town. The night.
The date. And he had a blue moon. He knew this girl loved full moons. She just
came all undone with those. And tonight he had a blue moon. (Do you know
about blue moons? It’s called that when it’s the second full moon in the same
calendar month. Did you know that a blue moon only occurs every two to
three years? They’re rare and special.) And more than that, he had been
waiting. He’d actually talked to this girl’s father back in June. And now it
was August, and it was time. Except there was no ring. There was a moment of
sheer despondency in northern Virginia, and then a change of plans…Andrew’s mom
began to brainstorm with him. Couldn’t he just tell the girl that the ring didn’t
come in? No. Could he buy her a wedding band? Okay, possibly. Off to the jewelry
store! But the options were lacking. They were back to the drawing board. Then Andrew’s mom had a wonderful idea. She looked at her son and said knowingly, “Every
girl loves a little blue box.” (And she was right!) So they trekked off to
Tiffany & Co. Rings were laid out across counters. Opinions were shared. Helpful
sales people offered suggestions. Andrew spotted something that fit his girl
perfectly. He headed out of the store. He hadn’t showered, shaved or changed. In the parking lot his phone rang. “I can’t wait to see you tonight!” He was relaxed as ever and
said, “Me too, baby. I’ll be there at 5 to pick you up.”
Emily’s side: He picked me
up right on time. (And he looked so handsome in his suit.) We drove the hour and
a half in traffic to Annapolis and talked and talked. I was giddy from nerves,
from excitement, and especially at the thought Andrew would get to experience a
place I loved so much. And I did not guess that anything might be amiss. We parked near the Chart House, and realized we had a
half hour to kill before dinner. Andrew suggested we walk near the
water. My heart began to beat very, very rapidly. We walked out onto a pier. At
the end of the pier the sun was setting brilliantly over the water. Across the
Severn River the lights of the U.S. Naval Academy fields were turning on. Ego
Alley was filled with boats of all shapes and sizes, and the breeze was playing
with my long dress around my ankles. In other words, it.was.perfect. Andrew and
I stood goofily looking at each other, and then we turned and walked back down
the pier. Oh my. What?! We approached a second pier, walked to the end, paused,
and turned back again. And then a third pier. But this one was closed. “We can
stand over here,” Andrew offered, pointing to a grassy area with a picnic table. I began to think maybe something
wasn’t going to happen after all. We stood facing each other. I glanced over my
shoulder at the dilapidated boathouse behind us. When I turned around Andrew was
kneeling on the soft grass holding a little blue box in his
hand, looking at me and asking…
Andrew’s side: “Will you
marry me?” He asked it once and the squeals began. She was laughing and hugging
him and he had tears in his eyes. He gave her the box and watched her as she
opened the package to reveal a sparkling pink sapphire set on a white gold
band. She gasped. It was lovely! But then he told her, “This isn’t your real
engagement ring.” She was very confused. Not the real one? Did this one have to
be returned? No. This was a gift. The real one would arrive tomorrow.
Our story: We spent the
night celebrating in Annapolis, phoned Sis to tell her, and returned home late
to share the news with our families. Early the next morning Andrew camped outside
the jewelry store waiting for the FedEx truck. After a FedEx employee exited
the store Andrew asked him if he’d dropped off a package from New York. The surprised
delivery man said that yes, he had! Andrew grabbed the package and sped off
to Maryland. He picked me up a little after 9am and we drove to the C&OCanal. To a very special bench. And he asked me another question.
And he gave me another ring. I squealed again, and he had
tears in his eyes. We went home to see my family, and spent
the weekend sharing the news with friends and relatives.
Do
you know something about that real engagement ring? The diamond was mined in South
Africa, cut in Israel, and the ring was set in New York...all before it settled in
D.C.
Do
you know something about me? I spent six months in Africa after high school, six weeks in Israel during college, and two years in New York...all before I
settled back in D.C.
That’s
rare and special. Like the blue moon. Like that Virginia boy. Like those two
unforgettable days, two beautiful rings, and two elated hearts.
5 comments:
You captured that story SO well! What an exciting time! Could not be more excited for both of you!!! XOXO
Such a beautiful story; I loved reading it!!
I swoon...........so perfect! <3 <3 <3 all the juicy details! So so so happy for you two!
xx
Oh Emily! I read this last week and completely forgot to come back and comment! I'm here to promptly take care of this.
Oh my! What a perfectly captured story of what is certain to be the start of a very happy adventure! Absolutely thrilled for you and your sweet sweet boy. LOVE!
I just got goosebumps reading this! Beautiful story Em and wonderfully written! So happy for you two!!!
Post a Comment